In Situ Archaeological Evaluation of the CSS Georgia Savannah Harbor, Georgia

Dublin Core

Title

In Situ Archaeological Evaluation of the CSS Georgia Savannah Harbor, Georgia

Subject

CSS Georgia

Description

2007 Final Report

Creator

Panamerican Consultants Inc.
Tidewater Atlantic Research

Date

February 2007

Abstract

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District, operates and maintains the Savannah Harbor Navigation Project and, in partnership with the Georgia Ports Authority, is examining the feasibility of deepening the Savannah Harbor navigation channel. To ensure compliance with various federal and state statutes, the Savannah District has re-initiated studies of the CSS Georgia shipwreck, a National Register of Historic Places listed site. Locally built in 1862 and originally designed as an ironclad gunboat, Georgia was moored in the Savannah River opposite Fort Jackson approximately five miles down river from the City of Savannah. Designated a “Floating Battery,” the vessel served as an integral element of Confederate defenses that protected Savannah until General W. T. Sherman’s Union Army captured the city. After a 20-month operational life, Georgia was scuttled in December 1864 to prevent capture by advancing Union troops.

Files

CSS_Georgia_Site_Investigation_Report.pdf

Citation

Panamerican Consultants Inc. and Tidewater Atlantic Research, “In Situ Archaeological Evaluation of the CSS Georgia Savannah Harbor, Georgia,” The MUA Collection, accessed February 8, 2023, http://www.themua.org/collections/items/show/1763.

Document Viewer